Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening outlook attachments.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2001
US
I'm having trouble openeing up attachements in outlook.. It says that file is not found.. Say I get a microsoft word attachement.. I double click on it.. and microsoft word opens.. but then it says file not found.. BUT.. if I open up microsoft word first.. the double click on the attachment.. then everything opens up.. Please .. any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks..

Happens when i try to open any office document.. Like excel and word.. It just says file not found.. or something like that.. but if i open up the microsoft word first.. and then double click on the file.. then it shows up...

very strange..

Sounds like the file association for .doc is running an incorrect or extra command. If you are not using DDE the command should look something like this

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" /n "%1" joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

here's the exact message...

Cannot find the file 'c:\blah blah.doc'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available....

ok.. i put the command in there.. it's working right now.. it loads the page and all, but i still get the error message after the page is loaded... the same exact error message..

does me having installed office on my E drive have to do anything with it? i doubt it..

No it does not matter that it is installed on the E: drive as long as the command reflects that drive. Is "Use DDE" checked or unchecked? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Try this:
-Go to Windows Explorer
-Then click on Tools, then Folder Options
-Click on File Types
-Select Microsoft Word documents
-Press Edit
-Under 'Actions'
-Select 'Open'
-press 'Edit'
-Check the clickbox beside 'Use DDE'
-Under 'DDE Message', Type '[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]'
-Under 'Application', Type 'WinWord'
-Under 'Topic', Type 'System'
-Leave the 'DDE Application Not Running' blank

Then press OK.......Tell me when it works....Good luck and God Bless

Everything loads up now.. but the strange thing is that i still get the error message.. MS word opens with the file opened.. but i still get the error message..
i dunno...
im confused even more now..

sigh..

Use DDE is checked i have the exact things that Lawin told me to put in..

I would either uncheck Use DDE or remove the "%1" from the command line from my previous post. The reason is that the command in DDE and "%1" in the command line you are running is doing the same thing. So each one is trying to open the same file.

joegz

wow.. works great... FINALLY!..hehe.. I really appreciate the support that you guys provide...

Thanks a million..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back