Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening multiple sessions of fox pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsker

Programmer
Jul 24, 2002
US
I just upgraded to 9.0 from 6.0. every time i douple click on a prg or dbf, a new session opens up. is there anyway i can get it so only one session is open at a time. Also how do you clear the command box.

Hi Borsker,

Not sure about your first question. I think this is just the way it works. You could try poking around in Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types / PRG / Advanced / Edit.

Your second question is much easier. To clear the command window, right-click in the window and select Clear.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Also how do you clear the command box.
Same way as in VFP6. You right-click in the Command Window, and select Clear from the shortcut menu that appears.

Trying to clear myself up here. if i have a session of vfp open, and i double click on a dbf in a folder in explorer somewhere, a new session of vpf opens with the dbf in it and now there are 2 sessions open. if i click on a second dbf a third session opens up with that dbf in in. in the old vpf6, only one session would be open with both dbfs opening in that one session.

As far as the command window issue thank you. If only everything was that easy.

I understand what you mean, but I don't know if there is a setting somwhere for that. I tend to think that Mike points you in the right direction, though. I don't think it is a FoxPro setting, it is a Windows setting (which was, probably, reset by VFP when you installed the new version).

Mine doesn't open another session, it uses the last one of the already opened ones. But I, for that matter, don't usually click on FoxPro files to open them, I do it from within FoxPro 90% of the time.

Instead of double clicking, you can drag and drop from the explorer window into the command window to open them in that VFP instance. You can even alt-tab VFP to the foreground before dropping.

Brian

You were right about the settings, here is what i did for all dbf and fxp files.

Open explorer and click
Tools
Folder options
File types

Then choose dbf from the list and click
Advanced
Edit

In the "Application used to perform action" window copy and paste this
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\vfp9.exe" -SHELL %1

Under the "DDE Message" window copy and paste this
Open("%1")

Under the "Application" window copy and paste this
FoxPro

Hit ok and you should be good. Don’t forget to also choose fxp and repeat these steps.

I would like the opposite. I want to open a new VFP session every time I click on DBF (or other VFP files) in Explorer. I'm currently using VFP8. I will try to see, if I can apply something similar to your suggestion.

What were your original settings, which opened multiple sessions?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back