Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening mpeg files on samba server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
Hi

I managed to get Samba running on Fedora core 1. I can access files, copy, etc, however if I try to open a mpeg file, I get the "cannot open this type of file error." On the XP machine the samba shares list correctly, even get a preview still shot of the mpeg, but I can't open them.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like one of the following, on your Windows machine:
- The .mpeg file extension is not properly registered;
- There is a problem with your media player software;
- The files are corrupted in some way.

If you copy the files across to a local directory, can you open them then?

thanks Tony, I was hoping it was a windows problem. I really couldn't see what the linux box would care what the file type was, but ya never know. LOL

For the first 2 suggestions, the files came from the machine that won't play them now, so I think the media player/extensions are OK.

Perhaps the Samba server is not liking a file name with spaces? Things like "my first day.mpg" ? There may be a few of those..

It's odd tho that xp can give me a preview snapshot of the mpeg file, just won't run it.

will have a look and let you know.

Thanks!

Well I found the answer. Tony was right. For some reason, Windows media player feels it is _the_ program that has to handle mpeg files that are opened over a network connect ( including the internet.

Files that are located on the windows machines hard drive open with a differrent program, and associations are set to use that program. Mpegs show the icon of the other program when listed in explorer, and over Samba shares.

Now I have to get Windows media player to lay-off. Ah microsoft.

Thanks Tony, you were correct.

I don't think it's Windows media player, it does sound like the extensions. I use Zoom player for .mpg and .mpeg on a Samaba share and have no problems. Try right-clicking the file, select a program to use, and set it as the default for that type of file. That's what worked for me.

I now think it is the extension designation also, but for the life of me I can't break the connection.

I use irfan for viewing, and it runs fine on the XP machine, but gives me the error if I try opening via Samba.

Maybe I will check out Zoom.

Thanks!

( too bad you couldn't just type " kill -9 windows mediaplayer " )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back