Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening .img (image mac) on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykes93

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
FR
well ! everything is in the subject , if you could tell me
how i could open or burn it on my pc or which software to use to open it, i know it's an image cd but every program i tried (winimage, winiso, daemon tools, do not recognize the mac file)

heeelllppppp !!!

Howdy:

An extension search brought up a few programs that may do the trick..

Bitmap GraphicProgram: GEM / VENTURA PUBLISHER

CloneCD CD image fileOther programs: Aladdin ShrinkWrap, Apple Disk Copy

Erdas Imagine's proprietary digital image format.Erdas is owned by Leica GeoSystems and Imagine is a geographic imaging and GIS program.

Image - Generic extension for the exact copy of a disk, HD or CD in a file.

Murray

thx but it doesn't answer to my question, i KNOW that it's a IMAGE MAC FILE FROM A CDROM but i would like to extract the content on my PC but cannot find any image softaware to open it, if anyone know how to open, extract or convert it to be a PC format, please reply...

already try this and didn't work too :(((

If you care to look, Ventura Publisher will open a .img file as will Aladdin Shrinkwrap program..

You just may have to buy something now won't you !!!

Murray

ventura publisher open GRAPHIC .IMG mine is not a graphic image file but a cdrom image file and Aladdin Shrinkwrap is for MAC only and I'm on PC !!!

is that too hard to understand what i'am asking or what :) ???

Image - Generic extension for the exact copy of a disk, HD or CD in a file

I understand sykes93's situation but I don't understand why this needs to be done. Supposing a Mac disk 'IMG' file can be extracted on a PC, what would one want to do with the contents? They are most likely Mac-specific program files.

Here's how I do the same thing on my computers...
I open the disk image file on my Mac and extract the contents to a disk image on my desktop. I realize that only 5% of the files are of a nature that a Windows PC could possibly handle and transfer those few files through my LAN to my Windows PC.

If you are attempting this for Mac emulation on a PC, you should already have the disk mounting utility to handle a disk image file. What emulator are you using?

i'm not using any emulator. In this image file the files are not mac only and can be read on a PC as well so ineed to be able to open it on my pc !

well it seems vain to find someone to help me now :((

Have you tried GhostExplorer (Symantec Program).
Also, do you know what software was used to create the .img image. That would help answer the question.

Use CloneCD to burn the IMG file to disc. You must have the associated .SUB/.CCD files with it to burn - these files contain header/track information for the image. Daemon tools will load the IMG file if there is a CCD file associated with it.

The only other program I can think of that can open .img files is dd in linux.

Sorry,

--James

well, thx all for tryin to help me but i think thath nobody read my next replies, IT IS NOT A CLONECD IMAGE IT IS A CDROM MAC IMAGE FILE MADE WITH DISKCOPY so i need a program on pc to open it and no mounted image software did it until now (daemon tool, winimage, winiso, clonecd, isobuster, etc..) DIDN'T WORK ON THIS FILE...

Question:

is this .IMG file an Installer for an application for MacOS? Is this something you downloaded, or something someone gave to you? If you're trying to get a file from a mac to a pc maybe you should ask that question instead.

If this is a Mac installer file then you might as well give it up.

The reason is: Mac files contain resource forks that describe what type of file it is. This information doesn't transfer between PC and Mac, a PC will destroy them. Please clarify your situation a bit more so we can help you better :)

--James

yes it's something i downloaded but it can be read on a pc too (it's some jpeg pics) the .img was made on a mac and i want to open it on my pc ( as you can open a sit archive with stuffit no matter it's pc or mac).

well - sit files are cross platform, IMG files aren't.

looks like you're outta luck on this one pal (unless you know someone that has a mac).

--James

I HAVE FOUND HOW TO DO IT :)

burn the .img with nero (as image file , option HFS volume file) and use transmac ( to open the hfs volume cdrom :) (use a cd-rw to erase image file after i extract what i need) :) :)

I'M HAPPY !!!

thx all !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back