Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Database 2 from Database 1 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

suedemick

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
I was wondering if I can expect any problems if I try to open a second Access database from a first database.

Database 1: split, back end on the server.

Database 2: not split, located on server. Some tables are links to Database 1, other tables are populated by importing information daily from text files downloaded from customer websites and our AS400 (we are not allowed to link directly to our AS400). The tables that are linked to Database 1 are not modified in Database 2, they merely provide information for the reports.

The boss would like a command button in Database 1 that will open Database 2. Since Database 2 is linked to tables in Database 1, I'm worried that I might be setting myself up for corruption in Database 1. I was wondering if I should close all add/edit forms and reports in Database 1 before opening Database 2, in case the user has an unsaved record in Database 1. After opening Database 2, should I close Database 1 entirely? Might I cause a problem having both databases open at the same time on the same machine?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Samulayo,

You're right; I'm probably being overly cautious. Thanks again!

Sue

Sue,
With regards to your comment above: "many of the reports share the same query, but often the criteria for various reports cannot be combined in the same query":

I had a similiar problem. In my database I have reports that, based on whose pulling it: individual rep, manager, VP, etc., changes the report & query criteria accordingly. Instead of making a new query for each report I use one query that has no criteria or only criteria that is needed by all & then use the WHERECONDITION in DoCmd.OpenReport to build any specific criteria needed for that particular report. Otherwise I'd have atleast 4 queries/4 reports as opposed to 1 query/4 reports. It's helped alot.

Thanks, laakins, for the suggestion! I'll check it out.

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back