Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Access 2000 files with Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnycat1

Programmer
May 4, 2005
US
Does anyone know how to open an Access 2000 file with access 97???

Dear Jim

I can't agree more with you saying "I wish there were an 'Access-like' tool for Oracle or SQL-Server, one that combined everything into one package." I felt the same many times when I work on Oracle database, using Developer 2000. Mind you, Developer 2000 is also an excelllent tool and in my view, might be the 2nd best after Access in easy to use interface.

According to my understanding, becasue of the fact that Access can't create an executable file like VB, where all the requited functions are bundled in dll files, Access DB on other hand still relies on some sort of Access version installed. It does slow down the things as Access loads most of the files/functions which will never be used by a small size database.

Again its only my understanding which could be quite wrong, but the reason I use Access is because I work in creating small/medium size clinical research databases, with limited funding and support. In situations like these Access work wonderful. I wish that one day Oracle and SQL server could be cheap enough for lot of people to use as backend.

Anyway I liked the healthy and informative disucssion in this post and will be looking forward to more options as the objective of this whole tek-tips is to promote group learning environment.

Cheers!
ÙÇãá

It's important to learn the rules so that you know how to break them.

I wish that one day Oracle and SQL server could be cheap enough for lot of people to use as backend.
I gave Laryy Ellison too much credit and assumed the above would happen sooner than later. I spent money and time honing Oracle skills, and recommended it here for a large project. But the Oracle license was about $18,000 compared to the similar-seat license for SQL-Server, which was about $4000. So the CFO of course went with SQL, and I've shifted gears.

Plus, I've got a beta copy of SQL Server 2005, and the new EM conoslidates the query analyzer, debugging, db admin, etc, into one very nice interface. If SQL Server ever ports successfully to big unix boxes, I think it'll be time to dump Oracle stock fast!
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back