Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Access 2000 database in Access97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam8932

Programmer
Oct 15, 2002
Hello,
Is it possible to open a database that's created in Access 2000 in Access 97? If so, how?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Access has a conversion utility in Tools -> Database Utilities -> Convert Database. You have the option of going to either a newer or older version, although I've only used it going from older to newer. One problem with conversions is that an error or inconsistancy in a single form, report, etc can derail the whole process. You'd have more control if you created a new (empty) db, converted it to '97, then imported your stuff a few items at a time.

Good luck,
CJ

I think you are asking if you can have a dual option to open the database in either Access97 or Access2000. If so, the answer is no. In fact, I just encountered that question today myself. htwh. Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"
e-Mail: Stephen_Medvid@GMACM.com

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Hi:

Are you sure? I always thought that I could link the tables from the back end, and add, delete, edit, from a front end, whether that front end was written in A97, A2K, A2002, etc.

Not so? Gus Brunston [glasses] An old PICKer, using Access2000.

I think two different things are being discussed here. Yes, you can link both Acc2K and Acc97 versions of a frontend to an Access 97 backend - I've frequently done it (with some performance issues by the way). However, an Access 97 user cannot just put an Acc2K app on their pc and open it. In that instance you will need to use Acc2k to convert the app backward to Acc97 then give it to the Acc 97 user to run. All of this is mentioned above, I am just trying to sort it out for people who may be unclear.

You could write a small amount of code using Jet 4 which opens a (new) '97 MDB and imports from a '2000 MDB all of the tables using an SQL "SELET INTO" statement.

Thread222-393021 [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back