Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a Word New "document1" from a hyperlink within FrontPage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazza600

Technical User
Oct 5, 2004
GB
Althouth I can get frontPage to open an document from a hyperlink. I can't get it to open a "new" Document1 from a link I have created to a Word template file. Is it possible.
My intention was to have a large number of document templates available on the web which a user could access in Word direct, and without affecting my original template files.

I know this sounds odd, but you could just create a document1.doc, and then link to it. People would see it as if it were new, and just sav what they do somewhere else...

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

Thanks for that - you are right they could but I have nearly 70 people who will use this system with over 100 templates and I can't trust them. Plus there must be a way cus word can do it, so you would think it is possable in FrontPage??

G

the problem would be that it would depend on people having the winword.exe in the same directory. Then you can set that to run. It should open a new word doc. BTW what is there to trust? Its not like they can save it to the reference you have. You can set that. You can also instruct them, step one = link, step 2 = save as, step 3 = work.

sorry Im not more help!

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

Thanks,

I will need to be more trusting I guess, but you are right about giving the step 1, step 2, etc.. instruction to help make sure

Thanks again

G

I just read your posting. I use Word document templates on my department Intranet. You may want to look at // for the "java script" they have to open a template in Word. If you just use a link to a template, Word will start as a helper application inside the browser window. The java script will launch Word as a seperate application on the users desktop. In order for this to work correctly, read page 2 about the security settings needed for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back