Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a Word doc. without design mode on!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwood

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
US
I have a word document and I've added some check boxes (I was trying to do a pull down menu but couldn't figure it out) to the document. It's for a system change request form. But when the user opens the document it's still in Design mode. I know that all they have to do it click the icon for the document to return to normal mode, but is there any way for this to be a clean form when first opened? I hope this makes sense?

Thanks for the help.

First, you don't need controls to have dropdowns. Much easier dropdowns are created with the Forms toolbar. See instructions for Fill-In forms at
Second, you MUST get out of design mode, not just close the toolbar. The top-left button on the control toolbox toggles design mode off and on.

Hope this helps!

OK, I understand that you have to toggle on and off the Design mode but I just want the doc. to open up NOT in design mode. The users of this form won't have a clue, all they will keep doing is trying to check the boxes. Also I tried the drop downs using the Forms toolbar. But you need to lock the form which will not allow the users to enter in any data. Again the problem being that they have no clue as to what they would have to do.... with the un-locking and then locking of the form. All I want to create is a form with some smarts to it. Allow the users a quick and easy tool to fill out a re-quest. I'll check out your site and thanks for getting back to me!

Hi bmwood! Try creating a new template that you can share out on a network (tools/options/file locations--specify workgroup template drive). While working on the template, turn on the forms toolbar. Where the users will enter free form text, put in a "text form field" (ab button on forms toolbar) If you right click on the form field, do a properties and you can play with the format of the field. Use check box form fields where needed. When done, lock the form. Note if you enter data and unlock/lock forms, you can lose data so you don't want users doing this. Save the template as "locked" and put it on the shared network drive specified under tools/options/file location. Let me know what happens.

I'm trying it right now... but I'm having my fair share of problems! So basically design the whole form UNLOCKED... when I'm done, lock it and save as a template...

Then the users should only be allowed to enter in data in the ab fields or check boxes, right? I did try something like this and it didn't work... when locked no data could be entered into the form at all. I'll try... the form has been designed I'm just trying to make it look sweet. Thanks for the help.

When you lock the form, data can only be entered in the spots where the form fields are located. That means that you will have to put fields in all the places where the data has to go. Also, when locked, the tab key will pop a user from field to field making enter easier.

BTW, you initially wanted to create a pull down menu. Did you play with the form field called "drop-down form field". If you add it to the form, then r-click and properties it, you can set it to display the desired items in the drop down list.

I did it! I did the drop down, added a field parameter to allow the users to enter in long descriptions! I did it all! I left space for "live" signatures after it's printed. Saved it in a template, I even figured out how to unlock the template and make changes!

Woo Hoo! It looks tens time better and I think that it will work! Thanks everyone for all the help! Be on the look out for more questions though....like any idea how to set up an autonumber every time someone opens the template. Not just 1... something like 001 to start with or something to uniquely identify the template. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back