Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening a supergiant log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesward

MIS
Mar 20, 2009
US
I have a plain text log file that is over 700 MB. What can I use to open it? MS Word? Open Office?

Holy smoke!!! I don't know of any program that can open it. What program created a file that huge?

--
JP

If I was to take a guess without testing, I'd try Notepad++. But I agree with JPaules - that's too big, how did it get that way? Assuming that it's a simple text file, I imagine it could be split into smaller more manageable sizes.

If you only need to browse/search the file do s search on "large file text viewer" and you ought to find at least one freeware option.

Editing is another story of course.

Textpad would probably do it providing you have sufficient RAM in your machine.

I needed to work with some very large text files a while ago so created a splitter program to break the file into more manageable chunks. You can download it here:

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I don't think it makes sense to open such a filein a row, it's like a 3.000 pages book. I'd stream it with wingrep or something like that to search for relevant parts.

Cheers,
Dian

Print it out - just kidding. In the future, see if there is a way (in the program/process generating this file) to automatically save and start a new file periodically vs. letting it grow to outrageous size.

TextPad will get it done. You can use if for an eval period before you have to pay for it. Price is reasonable.

Fred Wagner

I agree, Textpad is a really cool text editor. I'd open it.. Then trim as much of the file as you can. Maybe even break it up into manageable sizes, or highlight entries bit by bit and delete them...

Hmmm.... people posting the same advice on 2 March and again on 17 March that I originally gave on 24 January... :)

Ed Metcalfe

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I've seen a lot of that lately, but it's always MY ADVICE when I notice it!! I mean, I want a star when I deserve one and don't want these "star moochers" horning in on the action.

I don't blame you for sqealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back