Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a new port in Redhat 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiezalR

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
MY
My network has a Redhat 8.0 as its gateway and several other windows machines connects to this gateway to access the internet. The RH 8.0 is the server/firewall for my home network. All of them are connected via a swtich. Now this is what i want to do:

I want my RH 8.0 to allow remote access to port X and at the same time forward any requests to port X to my Windows XP machine. I've tried playing around with the firewall, to allow routing port X to my WindowsXP machine. But the question is, how do I actually go about opening this port X on linux? How do i make Linux listen on port X? My firewall has been set to forward any requests to port X to my Windows XP machine, but for this to work i need to make linux listen on port X. How do i do this?

I tried using SSH and Netcat, but those didnt help. When i use SSH and do a local scan (127.0.0.1) the port X is opened. But when i scan my remote IP, the port X is not opened. Any ideas?

Well thanks for the link, but that is what my firewall is all about. I am already using that firewall configuration, plus i added a rule to allow incoming packets to port X. However, when i do a remote scan on my box, that port does not seem to be open. I need to know how to make remote port X open for incoming traffic. Maybe my firewall rule syntax is wrong, i can't tell. Anyone know the proper syntax for IPTABLES rules to allow incoming traffic to a specific port?

When you do an ipchains -L where does the rule show up in the chain? If you have a deny rule set up above the allow rule you set up for port X it will deny first. To set a rule in a specific order in the chain it should look like:

ipchains -A input 1 -p tcp -i eth0 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 192.168.1.0/24 25 -j ACCEPT

In this example I said to append this rule as rule #1 in the input chain. I specified tcp as the protocol with the -p switch (you must specify protocol if you want to use a port #)

If this is not the problem it would be helpful to know what port(application) you are trying to let through and what program you are trying to scan with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back