Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwhispers

Programmer
Jun 21, 2000
ZA
i have just installed 6.5 on my pc, i have never used it before, i am trying to open a .pbd file but there is no simple way to do that it seems...please can someone help, where do you find the simple command in POwerbuilder 6.5 but to no avail, help please!

You don't 'open' .pbd files. They are compiled from .pbl files which contain the objects which make up an application (similar to a .dll file).

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time

ok figured that out already....now what i want to do is put it back into a library file, how do i do that?

tx

as far as i know, if you don't have access to the corresponding pbl for that pbd, you just need to rename the pdb to pbl

then start a new workspace and target and just add the renamed pbl to the LibraryList in the Preferences of that target.

that usefull?

do you want to open them in your code or in the RAD?
what's your aim?

ok i have a new problem....how do i make a field editable? a new one that i just added to a an already exiting form and the put it back into the library? ta

i use pb8, which has painters for every class and control and there's a checkbox "DisplayOnly" in the SingleLineEdit's paitner...

no argument intended, but at least use the RAD's help files before posting in threads. posting will make people think about your problems and it's just not fair to not at least try something on your own.

err i dont need a lecture i have spent hours trying to figure stuff out, you dont have to respond to my threads if you dont want to..

both parts of my response weren't to lecture, but to help you. i told you what i know.

did you find that checkbox? or did i get you wrong and you don't mean to make an Edit editable but something else?

i know you trying to help..it just comes across patronizing(no offence intended) because i need to figure this out and quick....and am under pressure...

i only started using powerbuilder yesterday and i am working in 6.5...but i have figured most of it out...

the problem i am having now i think is related to the tab order, i need to set it to be editable, thats problem a), problem b) is i need to be to able to access a value list from another table to update or insert into this particular field that i have added to the form that is already existing, that i am adding too..

dont know if this makes sense?

not really yet ;-)

i don't know what you mean by the term "field".

both SingleLineEdits and DataWindowColumns are only editable if they have a TabOrder > 9, as far as I know. the TabOrder - MenuItem can be found in the Format - Menu.

i can see the tab order in the menu, i just dont know how to edit it?

field i guess would be the database term, and the powerbuilder term would be column? hitting any notes :)

so you added a column to an existing DataWindow - Object, right?

after hitting tab order, there should be red boxes or red zeros above the column headers. click them and enter sequential numbers.

yes correct, i took an existing datawindow and added a column(field) to it

ha! all i needed to do was type over the tab order, somehow i though it would have to alter the form to edit..but funnily enough not...thanks!

now what i need to do though is access a colum from another table to insert the value into this column, like a value list already set up in a database table..

It sounds like you want a drop down list box.
For that you need to create a separate datawindow which will provides the list of choices. Then in the field where you want the value to go, use the edit tab of the properties window select "DropDownDW" for the Style. The options below will change. For the datawindow option select the new datawindow that you created. The Display Column and Data Column options let you select the columns from your new datawindow that will be displayed, and that will provide the data for your target field. I usually select the 'Always Display Arrow' option.

Have fun with PB
If you want your new field to be updateable use the update properties option in the Rows menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back