Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening a checked-out RDL and making a copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoustonGuy

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
I have a report I checked-out and I want to simply open the rdl (Not in XML) and save it as a new name in my file system. (Make a copy as a new template.)
I can't seem to open the rdl after I check it out. It defaults to the XML view. What am I doing wrong?

VS 2008 is what I build reports in.

Don't know if this will help or even if it answers the question, but here is what I do when I want to clone a report in a project.

From VS, in the Solution Explorer, right-click "Reports" and choose Add -> Existing Item... In the dialog that is displayed, scroll to the original report RDL. Right-click and select "Copy".

In the same dialog, right-click and select "Paste". This will create "OriginalReport - Copy.rdl". Right-click that and choose "Rename", and change it to what you want the new report called.

You should then be able to select it and click "Add" and the duplicated report will be added to your project under the new name, and should open in design mode instead of code.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jefferson!
This is a quick and easy way of adding a copy! I appreciate your answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back