Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenDataSource excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzfive03

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
I have this query:

SELECT *
FROM OpenDataSource( 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Data Source="c:\Sample.xls";
Extended properties=Excel 8.0')...aco$

It spits everthhing out just fine, EXCEPT.. it has NULL for all numbers and dates (Any non alpha character), is there anythign i can do to my query to give me everything "as text"???

Thank you

In the query, identify the columns specifically in the SELECT statement and use the CAST or CONVERT functions to change the date time field to a char data type.

Such as,
Code:
 SELECT CAST(datefield AS varchar) AS convertedDateField
FROM OpenDataSource( 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
  'Data Source="c:\Sample.xls";
    Extended properties=Excel 8.0')...aco$

You may have to modify this a bit depending on the tools you are using, but this is a good place to start.

good luck ^_^

iBe, thank you,
I tryed that but i still get the same thing. I even tryed casting to binary, and the fields are simply NULL.

Its weird, like theres something wrong with my Excel file, because if I create a new xls, it works ok, but when i copy the cells out of this one, into my new working one, the new one stops working too. I wonder if theres some switch or proerty in Excel that causes these fields to not be viewable.

HUM...

What are the numbers/dates... what is their format in Excel?

Also, what are you using to execute the query?

Fixed, it, Looks like the first few lines had image objects and it was messing something up.

I wrote a query as so:
select * FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'Excel 8.0;DATABASE=c:\Sample.xls', 'Select * from [aco$A6:Z64000]')

and selected the range I wanted, and now it works.

MH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back