Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Word 2000 and get last document saved

Status
Not open for further replies.

John24689

Technical User
Jun 9, 2001
US
I copied and pasted a document from the Internet onto a blank document in Word 2000. When I open Word, all I get is the document. I can't get a blank page. What do I do? Thanks. John

Check your Word Startup folder for unwanted templates. In Word, click on Tools | Options | File Locations, select Startup from the list, then click Modify to get the full path of your Startup folder. When you've noted (or copied to the clipboard) the path, hit Cancel (you don't want to modify your Startup folder) and close down Word.

Now, using Explorer, navigate to your Startup folder and check what template (.DOT) files you have in there. You may spot the offending file straight away, or you may need to remove all the .DOT files to a spare directory; restart Word with no templates running on startup; then, one by one, add the templates back into your Startup folder (restarting Word each time) until you find out which file is giving you problems. Remove it from the Startup folder.

I'd also strongly recommend sweeping your PC with an up-to-date virus checker.

Check that you haven't overwritten normal.dot.

1. Do a search for Normal.dot.
2. Open it (not by double clicking)
3. Delete the contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back