Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Windows Explorer in Specific Directory 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgvelez

Technical User
Jun 6, 2000
US
Some time ago I read where there were parameters (switches) that could be added to the Windows Explorer shortcut that would force it open somewhere specific. It is NOT in the "Open In" Box of the shortcut. That does not work.

TIA, Laura Laura Velez, MCP
lauravelez@home.com

Hi there. Ok go to the line windows explorer and right clik and chose senf to: desktop as shortcut. Then right clik and drag to quicklaunch bar (lower left) and when you release the right clik button select move here now you can single left clik and open up your windows explorer whenever you want. Let me know what you think. I love this methos. very fast way to access your windows explorer

Edit the association to explorer and configure as below :

explorer /select,c:\windows\

of course change c:\windows\ to whichever suits you best.

For network cons :

explorer /e,/root,\\myserver

Go into your my computer icon then from there go the internet options icon. Then type in where you want your windows explorer to open up to.

I think Spiggsy's reply was just what you wanted but let me explain it a little more in case you dont get it. Under the shortcut properties in the "target" field it should have: "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\" simply change where it says "C:\" at the end to wherever you want it to open in.

The "/n,/e," part tells it what to make the window look like so you probably don't wanna change that.

Thank you, gentlemen, this is perfect and works like a charm!

LGV Laura Velez, MCP
lauravelez@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back