Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open vs. Net vs. Free BSD 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jardows

MIS
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'm looking to replace some linux boxes w/BSD, but can't really find a good comparison among the different types. What are the pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses to each variation?

Thanks!

Jacob Meadows

hi

OpenBSD = security
NetBSD = multiple arch.
FreeBSD = desktop/server

hope that helps alittle

agree with devinci, also freebsd is supposed to have an edge in speed. but, they are all so fast you would have to have a big load to notice.

shane

devinci is pretty much dead on. Open is the easiest for me since I started with it, but Free has a bit better documentation in my opinion and more software support (as well as a larger ports collection) Net is cool, but the only reason I ever used it was to run it on obscure hardware (so I don't have much exp with it). I'd recommend Free or open depending on what you want to do with it. ----------------------------------------
Nicholas D. Buraglio

Hi, jardows,

welcome to the club ;) ... all the previous notes are correct. I use FreeBSD (1 server and desktops) and OpenBSD (3 servers), so:

IMHO:

OpenBSD is more security-oriented comparing to others (using default config on all boxes), so it's better suited for mail&web servers with no GUI installed.

FreeBSD has much more software in it's ports tree, so it seems to be a bit more user-oriented, and serves nice as desktop OS, though performing quite well as server platform with some configuration alterings.

Have no experience with NetBSD, so no comments on this...

Cheers,
Murrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back