Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open VMS 6.2 Send Email when Blocks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meny21

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2002
MX
Hi Guys!

Does anyone knows how can I send an Email when one of my devices is less then 500,000 blocks?

I mean an Scheduler than run and check this free space in my devices... if an email was send I know that my device is getting full (emergency).

Also could be this email send to external email accounts?

Thanks for any good ideas!

MR

MR,

This can be accomplished using your favorite programming language and a few system services or it can be done as a DCL command file using a few lexical functions. If you need any details on lexical functions, see "$ HELP LEXICAL".

To do this in DCL:

You can the lexical function F$DEVICE in a program loop to identify all your disk drives.

The lexical function F$GETDVI can retrieve the number of freeblocks. For example:

$ i = F$GETDVI("DRA1:","FREEBLOCKS")
$ if (i .lt. 500000) then . . . .

To email (assuming you have UCX or some other TCPIP software), do:

$ MAIL/SUBJECT="Disk DRA1: has less than 500000 blocks free"
file.txt "SMTP%some.user@abc.com"

Hope this helps getting you started,

Jeff

Hi,
there is an audit service to send message to opcom; unfortunately it can't send e-mail.
At the moment I don't remember how catch audit alarm to execute a DCL command file. I'm searching in my documentation then I'll write you how do.

Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back