Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open up the case on a Toshiba Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamafopa

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Having never opened up a notebook before, I am being cautious. I have a Toshiba Satellite 2800 with a dead DVD-ROM. Think I need to open the case completely in order to change out. Have all the screws I can find removed, yet still does not want to open.

Can anyone offer general or specific guidance?

yamafopa!

Laptops not my speciality, but I briefly played with an ancient 315 Satellite a while back...

Because your model will be a lot younger than the 315, the following is only likely to be a generalisation:-

Remove battery, remove any PCMCIA cards etc., remove screws in base, and possibly also on the back of the machine. A small plastic section of casing between keyboard and screen needs to be flexed to remove (it's snapped in place). Lift out keyboard and carefully disconnect flexible ribbon cable. The main plastic case surround is also snapped into place and needs to be carefully eased out bit by bit - I used a small screwdriver to do this. As I recall, in the 315 this casing also supported the two loudspeakers and the screen, all of which need to be carefully disconnected before removal. You should now be able to see the screw fixings for the DVD drive.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

[tt]Hi yamafopa, try out what G0AOZ suggested, but if you still cant open it, try removing some of the rubber fittings which can be found around the bottom of the NB. You might find some screws hidden by them.

BTW, isn't there any easier way to take out an optical drive from a NB? I take care of a few brands of NBs, (but not Toshiba though) but none as hard to disassemble as the one G0AOZ described! Must be the old ones... Or does the same apply to the newer Toshiba NBs as well?

Any enlightenment is appreciated

My toshiba Tecra just has a slide over faceplate with the led's and stuff right on the front and then you can pull the drive out from there without takeing out one screw!!!

Lots of the NB i've seen just have a removable faceplate to blend the drive in with the main casing. Once removed the drive simply clips out.

Thanks alot, guys. As usual this forum has yeilded plenty of results. Actual problem was with removal of keyboard. Across the upper back of the main case, above the keyboard was a dress plate with the power button and a few LEDs. Once this was removed, there were a couple of screws holding the keyboard in place. Remove these, lift out keyboard and remove ribbon cable. This exposed about 8 more screws. This allowed open of main case...

Though you might be interested.

yamafopa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back