Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open type font

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkapc

Technical User
Sep 29, 2004
US
Does anyone know if and how I can use an open type font in autocad? I need it to convert vectorworks drawings from a mac to an autocad dwg. Thanks for the help!!

Open type fonts should work in AutoCAD just as regular true type fonts work. If they don't you may try setting your fontalt system variable to something like Romans.shx.

HTH
Todd

Thanks for your reply. But I still don't see the font I want in the pull down menu. I want to make sure I put the font in the right place. I copied th font into autocad's font dirctory. Is that all I need to do or is it something else. Thanks
TKA

Well on more searching I learned how to install the font to Windows. I did that succesfully. But, I still don't have it as an opption Autocad. It is in the autocad fonts folder & windows font folder. What else to I need to do?

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

If I'm not mistaken, AutoCAD 2000 and above read from both the font directory and the Windows font directory. In case you haven't, you may need to reboot the computer before AutoCAD can see the changes.

If your working on release 14 (It's been a while) I think it just reads from its own font directory.

Depending on your version, AutoCAD may only display the OpenType font as a TrueType font - is this maybe why you aren't seeing it?

HTH
Todd

using Autocad lt 2005. Just got it last week.
Is there a way to change opemtype to a truetype? Is that something I should do?

I did rebot & it is still not there. Is there a setting or something that needs to be changed?

tkapc,

I don't know of anyway to change an opentype to a truetype, you'd probably have to ask the folks who make fonts, (not sure where you'd find them) but they may know. I'm not sure this is something you necessarily have to do - what you may want to do is check your windows fonts, control panel - fonts, and then see which font types are listed as opentype, then check AutoCAD LT to see if it is recognizing any truetype fonts. As far as a setting for this I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with LT or 2005 to be able to answer but I doubt it.

I have a feeling your font file is the problem, not AutoCAD. Have you tried using the font in something like Word, Excel or any other program just to make sure it works?
If you can't use it in any other program, you won't be able to use it in AutoCAD.

HTH
Todd

Well, it does show up in word & excell. I did check that. Your right it probably is the font. Anyway thanks so much for all your advice!!! I think we need to find another font to use. Have a good day!!!

Thanks!
tka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back