Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open relay issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

itherd

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
IN
Anybody pls help. We have e2k server on w2k with all updates and patches. This server is put under firewall in ISP's premises. Their responsibility ends there. They dont and cant provide any other support. Now the issue is our server is listed as open relay server in some sites like njabl.org and mails are not going to some domains which use these lists. Our mail server is accessed thru leased lines, ISDN and dialups throughout the country and clients are OWA and outlook express( POP3, IMAP & OWA clients). I have gone thru the KB articles for closing Open relay but i guess people who are accessing thru dialup will have problems if I follow those steps and list the allowed IP adderesses. Any other way that I can address this issue. Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance

If you already went throug the FAQ pages here, the security part, AND you covered all, then you should be ok.

It is not because some site blacklists you as open relay, that you actually are.
Some of them act on reports for people where your domain was spoofed, and as a result you become the victim.
Check with the njabl.org to sse WHY the listed you and what to do to get you of their list.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Thanks marc,

I requested njabl.org to remove our IP from their list. With their automated system again they detected open relay and blocked it again. I dont nkow what to do.

I you are really open, then you should close it, regardless of the consequenses for your users.

For them, you will to come up with another way of doing things.
But, first of all, if your ISP is not willing or able to help out here, I only got 1 piece of advice for now: get that server OUT of there!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

I am still struggling with this. But I will give some more details. Symantec antivirus for gateways is installed on our server and configured for port 25. It receives all messages, scans and forwards to port 26. SMTP virtual server is configured for 26 port. So, on port 26 its not relaying whereas on port25 which is default commonly its relaying openly. If I create another virtual server with either port 25 or 26 its not allowing me. Its not allowing me also to change the port no of default SMTP server. Same thing happens if I create a SMTP connector. As I said I am naive as far as exchange server is concerned. It must be a minor configuration which I am unable to get to. Can anybody pls help.

Resolved the issue. Norton antivirus for gateways was the culprit. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back