Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open PowerPoint show in popup window - get "alert" message - save or o

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangejuice

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
CA
I have a flash movie with several links to PowerPoint show files. The entire thing is a CDROM project. My links are set up as components, so that I can specify the size of the HTML window that will open, as well as scrollbars and all the rest of it. However, when the user has internet explorer as their default browser, runs the CD, and clicks the links, they get a message box saying would you like to save the file or open it? If they choose open, it opens in the browser window. (Firstly, is there any way to get rid of that warning box & just open the file right away, like PDF files do??) Now if the user has Netscape set as their default, it doesnt give you the option to open the file, but only asks to save it to your computer. Once saved, the file does not open in the blank window, and you are left staring at a blank HTML window (sized as specified in flash). Any idea why this happens and how it can be fixed?? It is essential we have this usable with both browser types!!

Please help!

The problem isn't opening the file - in internet explorer, you can open the file by clicking that option on the warning box. (This doesnt work in Netscape, but thats another issue). I just want to get rid of the warning box. Its basically tellin people that the file could be a virus, which its not.

I also NEED to get this working in Netscape! No matter what I do, it won't open in the window I've specified - when the file does open, it opens up the entire powerpoint program, rather than just the show.

Tried using the tutorial you suggested - didnt seem to work properly. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back