Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open .mdb file and just edit/save forms and reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commun1

Programmer
May 26, 2004
DE
Hello!

A client of mine just bought a company including some individual piece of software programmed in Access.
However, since the owner changed and the company who made this program a few years back doesn't exist anymore he asked me if I could edit the program and get it to show the new logo and so on...

I said I would look it up since I have Access 2007 installed on my machine, so here I am, I copied the database and tried to edit the elements in Access, however (although it is not password protected and so forth) it gives me a bunch of errors when I try to open the .mdb file. I googled them but it seems like they are individually tied to that program.

So far, so bad.

Now here's my question:

I just need to change and replace some texts, some graphics and some other digital values (like opening times and so forth). Is there any way I can just open the .mdb file, replace the graphics on the reports and forms and save it again? I don't need to change any functionality of the programm, just some graphics and text values.

Because it does work on the machine it actually is working on but doesn't open once I try to copy it to another workstation...

I tried MDB Viewer Plus and it does import the tables but I don't see any forms or reports there, just the tables and queries, so it is only half the deal.

Any programs out there that could do the trick?
I did try to import the .mdb to a new blank one in Access and it gives me some ActiveX control errors among some file access restrictions, it does show the forms I'd need to edit though.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know where else to look now :(

it gives me a bunch of errors when I try to open the .mdb file.

What are they?
You're sure this is not an mde database?
Have you tried compact & repair or decompile/recompile?
Have you checked the project references for missing or broken lib links (try this first)?

Cogito eggo sum – I think, therefore I am a waffle.

Thanks for the pointers!

How do I check the project references?

Well, the program does work (pefectly) on the machine it is supposed to run on. It just doesn't work once I copy it to another and try to open it in Access.

First, post back the errors.
To check references, open up any code module in the VBA IDE. Click on Tools|References. Look for any that say MISSING. Uncheck those. Then compare the ones that are checked on the problem PC to the ones that are checked on the PC that works.

Cogito eggo sum – I think, therefore I am a waffle.

Yes, sorry for skipping the error reporting. I will get back to it asap. Reason for it is that I got hold of Access 2003 as a friend suggested I should try this first in case of any compatibility errors between 2003 and 2007.

Hey genomon,

sorry for getting back to you so late. I had to get a copy of Access 2003 and that wasn't so easy ;)

So, I've checked the following:

It is not an MDE-file.
It is not password protected.

When I load the .mdb by simply double-clicking it (or with the "Open"-Command in Access) it just opens a blank screen, the title of the program does show however.

When I create a blank database in Access and try to import all data via "Get External Data..." it seems to import everything (Tables, Queries, Forms, Reports and Macros) BUT the modules, it doesn't import them and gives me the following error:

You don't have permission to import, export, or link to [modulename here]

I tried Compact & Repair as you suggested but same result.

Basically I really just need to adjust the Reports in Design-mode, nothing more...

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back