Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Form with Matching Data from Separate Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwhite1048

Technical User
May 20, 2004
US
I have a form on which I want to double-click a value in a field on the form and open a different form and show the matching 'record'.

Form1 contains an ID field where I've placed an On Dbl Click macro to OpenForm, Form name is Form2, Where is [Forms]![Form2]![ID]=[Forms]![Form1]![ID]. When I double-click the ID in Form1, it opens a filtered Form2, but it's a blank form (Record 1 of 1 - filtered - all ready for data entry). I don't want that record, I want the one where the IDs match. Does it make a difference that on Form1, the ID field is an AutoNumber and is unique?

I also tried Where [Forms]![Form1]![ID], but that gets me the first record in Form2, filtered but with all records in the filtering.

I played around with some other methods, and got one where it would come up and ask for the ID, and if I typed it, it would open that record, but I want it to do it automatically.

All help appreciated....

Trish

got one where it would come up and ask for the ID
Can you please elaborate this one ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I needed to do something similar--open a second form that displayed information based on the current record on the first form. Rather than use the click event on the control(in my case it was UserID), I used a command button that accomplished the same thing. The linking field that the second form used as a "filter" was the UserID on form 1. Here is the code for the command button:

Private Sub cmdbutton_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdbutton_Click

Dim stDocName As String
Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frmYour_PoPup_form"

stLinkCriteria = "[UserID]=" & Me![UserID]
DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_cmdbutton_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_cmdbutton_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_cmdbutton_Click

End Sub

TO: PHV
got one where it would come up and ask for the ID
Can you please elaborate this one ?

I took out the WHERE and put in a Filter containing:
select * from Form2
where Form2.ID = Form1.ID

When I double-click on an ID in Form1, I get an Enter Parameter Value dialog asking for Form1.ID. When I enter an ID and click OK, it opens that record.

To: MaryTee
I would prefer to use the On Dbl Click as I am displaying multiple records on the form, but you've given me some ideas I will pursue. Thanks.

Trish

Hi,

the mistake maybe because of this:
where [Form2]![ID}=[Forms1]![ID]

bye

I did something similar to MaryTee's suggestion, but kept it on the On Dbl Click. It works!

Private Sub BugID_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

Dim strDocName As String, strLinkCriteria As String

strDocName = "Form2"
strLinkCriteria = "[ID] = Forms![Form1]![ID]"
DoCmd.OpenForm strDocName, , , strLinkCriteria

Exit_BugID_DblClick:
Exit Sub

On to other challenges - thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back