Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open files directly from a location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubilus1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2001
US
Hello,

We are trying to use front page as a gateway for our companies internal network. However, it seems that when a file is opened from Frontpage, a copy of the file is made on the client machine and then opened locally. We would prefer to be able to open the files directly from the location on the server. Is there any way to force files to be opened from their original location?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Matt

When you want to open a file from the location ( web server ) and not save it to the persons PC. 1st the person must have the capability to view the file - Software installed - Example office 2000 to view word docs.
Then on Front Page Example:
Type in Test DOC and then select the text and Then press Hyperlink.
When the window opens.
Press Make hyperlink to file on your computer.
This will bring up the Select File Window. Choose the Directory on the server and then the file you want to tie to the hyperlink. Then save the web page and open the URL and click on the Test DOC Hyperlink. The DOC file should open. < I want to work in Theory - everything and everybody works in Theory !!>

That's pretty much what I was doing. I think I found the problem. Mozilla like to take some files and put it in temporary storage, regardless if you want it too or not. This doesn't happen with the Access databases, but only with Word and Excel files.

Using IE, I don't have this problem.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back