Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open external applications from Paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

je

MIS
Jul 21, 1999
CA
Hi all,
I am currently working on a project using Paradox 4.5. I was wondering is it possible to open an external Windows application ( ie Protel in my case) from a form push button.

Yes, it's possible. However, it's been a very long time since I programmed in Pdox Dos. I think the command was execute(), if I remember correctly.

Mac :)

"Do not delve too deeply in the arts of your enemy and so become ensnared by them"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

You can also use the shellExecute() from Windows API. It has more option than the execute() from Paradox.

JE,

You didn't say which version of Paradox 4.5 you're using, the DOS version or the Windows version. If you're using the DOS version and you're using it under a reasonably recent version of Windows (e.g. Windows 95 OSR2 or later), you should be able to start any program using

Code:
execute( "start theprogram.exe" )

However, keep in mind that neither version of Paradox 4.5 supports long filenames. So, if you're trying to start something called "My Long Program.exe," you'll need to determine the short filename (8.3) and execute that instead, e.g. mylongfi~1.exe.

Finally, if you're still having problems getting it to start, you might try creating a batch file and starting it that way.

If this doesn't help, we could use some more specific details about the program you're starting, the version of Windows you're using, the specific version of Paradox you're using, and the content of any error messages.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back