Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Excel, Call (Excel) Macro from Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

DummyForAccess

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
I'm trying to automate a very manual process. I have a database built in Access that will import and refresh tables. Then I need to have a macro that opens an Excel spreadsheet and calls an (Excel) macro. (This macro is necessary because it formats the spreadsheet in a certain way, populates worksheets with data from my refreshed tables, and creates dropdown pick-lists from those worksheets). Most of it works well, but I'm having a problem getting Accsess to get the Excel macro running...

I have code that I got to paste into a module to open excel and call the (excel) query. Problem is if I use "open Module" cmd in an Access Macro, it just opens the module in a vb development window. I know I'm missing a step or something???

You might try looking into AutoExec from Excel. At one time when one opened excel this would fire off, but I don't know what it is in later versions.

If you open Excel using Automation in VBA you can run a macro like...

Private Sub mRunMacro()
Dim ExcelApp As New Excel.Application

With ExcelApp
'open Excel with file C:\Test
.Workbooks.Open "C:\Test"

'Make Excel visible
.Visible = True

'This runs Macro1
.Run ("Macro1")

End With

End Sub There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

The code I'm using is similar, if I run it from the Module (VB) window, it works fine. The problem I'm having is how do I call the module or the sub from Access? If I use the Open Module option in a Macro it just opens the module, it doesn't run. In Help it says to create a function that calls the sub? How do I create a function?? Ugh...

OK, make it a public sub in the code module.

Public Sub mRunMacro()
Dim ExcelApp As New Excel.Application

With ExcelApp
'open Excel with file C:\Test
.Workbooks.Open "C:\Test"

'Make Excel visible
.Visible = True

'This runs Macro1
.Run ("Macro1")

End With

End Sub

In the form or where ever you want to execute if from just call the sub.

eg. if you've make a command button called cmdOpenExcel

In the on click event put..

Private Sub cmdOpenExcel_Click()
mWriteToExcel
End Sub There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

If you haven't gotten it to work yet... you can try this:

Public Function RunExcelMacro()

Dim XL As Excel.Application
Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook

Set XL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

Set xlBook = XL.Workbooks.Open(&quot;C:\<insert path and file name here>.xls&quot;)

XL.Application.Run &quot;'<workbook name>.xls'!<macro name>&quot;

XL.Workbooks.Close
Set xlBook = Nothing

XL.Quit
Set XL = Nothing

End Function

Let me know if this doesn't work, or if you have any other questions...

Good luck

I haven't had a chance to try either, the second code looks much like what I had, so I'm sure it will work. Can you tell me how to get the function to start in an Access Macro(if that's possible)?

To get the code which I sent before to run from a macro, use the &quot;RunCode&quot; action in the macro... and for the FUNCTION NAME use &quot;RunExcelMacro()&quot;

I hope this helps.

Gawd, this is soooo close to working. From what I can tell, this code works as a sub. I just need one thing, how do I write a function that calls the sub, I don't need it to do anything else, just to call the sub. (can you believe I had 2 vb classes and can't remember much, I haven't used it much, so I've lost it I guess...)

Actually, I finally got it. Had to create a function called runexcel() and then have the function call the sub. I couldn't think of the syntax, I was taht frustrated, but alas I guessed at the right syntax. It works beautifully. I'm actually getting some automation into my life. Life is good. Thanks for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back