Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Connection Error with a SELECT INNERJOIN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarScream

Technical User
Oct 10, 2001
US
Syntax Error In FROM Clause

I am trying to get this ASP to output info from a specific record. I input the name of the system "Microsoft" which correlates to a single record which has 4 people on it. Each person does a different job. The person I want is SysPersID. But this would obviously just return a number. So I want to INNER JOIN to the PersonnelTable and look up that ID to return the PersonnelName. Heres the code:

Code:
<%
    Set DataConn = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
    DataConn.Open &quot;Driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=&quot; & Server.MapPath(&quot;Database.mdb&quot;)

Set cmdTemp = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Command&quot;)
    Set rstTable = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)

cmdTemp.CommandText = &quot;SELECT PersonnelName FROM PersonnelTable INNERJOIN SystemTable ON PersonnelID=SysPersID WHERE SystemName='Microsoft'&quot;
    cmdTemp.CommandType = 1
    Set cmdTemp.ActiveConnection = DataConn
Code:
rstTable.Open cmdTemp, , 1, 3
Code:
    Response.write &quot;Person=&quot; & Server.URLEncode(rstTable(&quot;PersonnelName&quot;))

rstTable.Close
    Set rstTable = Nothing
    DataConn.Close
    Set DataConn = Nothing
%>

It says I have a syntax error in the FROM clause (I bolded the line). Any ideas what I'm doing to get the syntax error ? Thanks.

Oops!

I made INNER JOIN two words, then it says &quot;Join Expression Not Supported&quot;

I'm missing something obvious, ain't I?

PJP

yep :) your connecting to an MS access database which doesn't support ansi joins

you'll need

FROM PersonnelTable, SystemTable
WHERE SystemName='Microsoft' and PersonnelID=SysPersID

Shoul do it hopefully

Thanks Simple, it was...er...simple ;-) once you pointed out the reason. Thanks. You get a star!

PJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back