Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Clipper tables with VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

horstibaby

Programmer
May 15, 2007
DE
Good afternoon,

has anybody an idea why Visual Foxpro 9.0 is not able to
open a table that has been created with Clipper 5.0 using the DBCREATE()-function ?
Foxpro reclaims 'This is not a table'. DBF does not have any Memofield, but has an index (mdx-file)
Many thanks in advance

Horstibaby

What is you Set Compatiable statement set to ?

David W. Grewe Dave

IIRC, Clipper 5 had the ability to create DBF's that were not compatible with other xBase dialects. They increased a couple of the limits we still have in VFP. They also introduced "replacable data drivers" so there's no real guarantee what standard the DBF may have followed.

Sounds like you've hit one of those.

You may have to attack this from the Clipper side first.

Horstibaby,

If all else fails, you could try using Codebase ( It should let you open the table and access the data. You could then copy it to a normal VFP table and proceed from there.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Hello Dan hello Mike,

Dan, I think this is the actual problem, I will have to change the clipper code in order to achive dbf's data.

Mike, what I do to solve the problem is to open the clipper dbf with dBase V, copy it to a dbase-file and then open it with VFP. So there is a way to achive data but its not very comfortable.

Nevertheless, thanx a lot to both of you

Horstibaby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back