Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open ASA base with ASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRiviera

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
CA
If I have a data base which I use with Sybase SQL anywhere, is it possible to open it and to use it with Adaptive Server Enterprise?

John,

I do not believe so. Are you migrating from SQL anywhere to ASE?

At present, I have a base used with SQL Anywhere to open but I do not possess software Sybase. I read on this site the faq to find a password with ASE. As I do not possess the password DBA of my base, I wanted to open it with ASE to be able to apply the faq for find password and have access to the base.

I have for contract to export the data of a client who uses SQL anywhere but him do not know his main password for this base (I explained the case in a thread the 07/07/03).

John,

Two things, just explain

1) you have an Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) up and running on a given platform. Do you have sybase/administrator access to this ASE and if so what platform it is running on?

2) You do not know the ASE "sa" password?

My customer who has a base SQL Anywhere which functions on a Windows platform. I must transfer his data towards my application (with an extraction in text file for example), but it does not know the password administrator.

So John your customer does not know the admin password for SQL anywhere. Right. Can it be the same as windown admin. Have you tried it? in ASE you can force Sybase to generate an 'sa' password if you go to directory $SYBASE/install and modifying the RUN_<SERVER_NAME> file and adding -psa option to the end. This will then create a password in the ASE errolog that you can use to login. IN ASA there should be a similar functionalities surely. Have you looked around where the ASE run file is on win32?

Thank you, I am going to look if there is a file as runserver in Win32. In the case it would be possible to make as in ASE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back