Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

open & work Analysis Studio in Cognos8.1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

haripali

Programmer
Feb 27, 2008
IN
Hi ,
In webpage that contain Query Studio,Report Studio,Analysis Studio,Event Studio ...when I click Analysis Studio, it open a new page & ask to "select a package" from drop down list but there is no package in the drop down list...so i am not able to proceed further. Kindly help how to open & work Analysis Studio in Cognos8.1???

For your information:
1) Query Studio,ReportStudio are working fine. I have published the "go sales & retailers" package in Framework.
2) Envirenment: Window XP Pro. with Sp2,Sql Server 2000,IIS,Cognos8 BI (8.1)

like 4 QS,RS we have sample package& sample reports, ther must be something similar 4 analysis studio ...I am looking 4 that ....guide me

Reply ASAP
haripali@gmail.com

AS will work with a dimensional package, not with a relational one. Obviously your packages are based on a relational source.
So ,the option are:

1.Build traditional cube , publish a package on the cube
2. Build a DMR layer on a relational source and use this for a package

Ties Blom

HEY BLOOM U MENTION 2 WAYS LETS TAKE 1ST ONE

1.Build traditional cube , publish a package on the cube

I have created cubes in Cognos7(iqd file created in IMPROMPTU, then in TRANFORMER calling this iqd creating modle & cube and finally viewing & creating reports in POWERPLAY)

IN COGNOS8 where to create cube ,in my cognos8.1, i only have Query Studio,Report Studio,Analysis Studio,Event Studio.

haripali@gmail.com

You need Framework manager to publish a package on a transformer model. Framework manager is a client application that you install on the server or on your client.
The physical cube has to be built by using transformer. Cognos 8.1 however requires a package to access a cube from Analysis Studio

Ties Blom

Just FYI from Transformer 8.4 you can publish a cube as a package in Cognos Connection directly without having to use FM. Just right click on cube and select 'Publish PowerCube as Data Source and Package' - understand that this isn't a lot of help if you're on 8.1 but one for the future eh?

Yes, 8.4 makes a clean brake with the old approach. However, the distinction is between C7/C8 technology. You need a package when using C8, whereas the client technology enables you to work directly on the cube..

Ties Blom

I will first talk about C8.1. this is what i got:

Cube is created in C8.1 transformer. Then We publish this cube as package in Framework Manager, then only it is available for Analysis Studio. This is the only way cube is accesible by various studios in C8.1.

Correct me if I m wrong.

later i will talk about C8.4.

regards
haripali@gmail.com

To be precise you design the cube model in transformer. The actual physical cube can be built in the background by the use of scheduled scriptfiles (do a search on 'cubeswap utility') This is rather primitive and I'm sure that 8.4 is more elegant here..

Ties Blom

hey bloom that mean so far what i understood is right.

In cognos 7 before cube is build we need to create a model in transformer.
IS this same in Cognos8.1?

Please guideme how to work with sample powercube:
1) do i have to do anything at database level like creating database & restorting database or
2) simple(without doing above ) i have to create datasources(for these powercube) at cognos connection & publish them in Framework manager

please reply ASAP
haripali@gmail.com

Option 2. This is all covered in the framework help documentation on how to create / use a certain datasource and pointing to the cube that you want to build a package on.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back