Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open a word doc by clciking a button in flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

supamags

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

Is it simple to just program a button that when clicked will launch word/word doc?

thanks
b.

Just link it to the Word doc like you would in a web page.

Code:
on(release){
    getURL("nameOfWordDoc.doc");
}

If the client computer has Word installed it will launch Word automatically.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Thanks, so simple, I owe you a beer!
Cheers
b.

This will not work on the Mac platform (at least in OS X).

I'm trying to decide right now how to do a project which is essentially just a navigational interface that leads the user to a bunch of Word docs that they will print out for actual use.

I first thought Flash would be the easiest approach, but I don't like the warning dialogue that you get when doing the getURL approach on the PC platform, and the Mac won't launch Word at all.

The only way I've found around this is to use something like FlashJester's jstart for the PC and AppleScript on the Mac to launch the Word file more elegantly.

Anyone know another approach that I haven't come across?

I'm thinking I'll just go back to doing the project in HTML, though the client wanted to have the code hidden from other folks who might steal it.

Maybe Director . . . hmm.

chris

You will get the warning dialogue on a PC whether or not you use Flash. Word documents can contain possibly malicious executable code (macros) which is why the warning is there. :)

You know the saying. If you don't want people to see it/steal it don't put it on the internet.

I must confess I haven't tried this method on the Mac, but since you have mentioned it I will.

It worked fine on my Mac but it is running on system 9 and its Flash 5. But i now have the file opening word docs, PDFs and movie clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back