Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open a new window when enter a site despite blockers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlm823

Programmer
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hello

I'm trying to have a mp3 player open when someone enters a site into a new window. Naturally my client has a pop-up blocker so it isn't showing. Is there any advice on what I can do with Javascript?

Thanks!

Simple advice: if the user doesn't want popups, don't use popups :)

You can tell the user his blocker is preventing the player from running.

Cheers,
Dian

The user doesn't mind the pop-ups and I know how to tell them to prevent the blocker. BUT when other people come to the site you don't want to prevent them from hearing the music either.

It's not a matter of preventing them from hearing the music, it is a matter of THEM choosing not to allow popups.
The blocker is there for a reason.

If you want music on the site have it open up within the site instead of a separate window. You will always have problems with pop up windows. If you find a way to pop up a window despite the blocker it will not last as they keep updating the blockers to stop the new methods.

Google, you're my hero!

Thank you both for your advice. I will have to figure out a way to incorporate it into the site. I'm using the SourceForge XSPF mp3 player and unfortunately it doesn't allow continuous play so whenever they change another page it messes up... I reckon I'll use frames...

Thanks...

Why dont you simply open a "_blank" window with all the source for the player etc ... but ... add this to the body <body onLoad="window.resizeTo(200,200)">

the page will resize itself to a 200pxl x 200pxl size (looks like a popup, smell like a popup, but oy senor! not a popup)

scuzi bada engrish

Resizing my browser window is ore annoying than popping up a new one. I would not visit your site again if you started doing this to me (and I was a regular visitor).

Why not investigate a differnet plugin/player that requires no messing about with the user's settings?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

I'll second that motion. I really HATE it when some web site resizes my browser window. If anyone knows a way to block that, without blocking all javascript, I'd be very grateful.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Stop visiting that webs, I'm afraid. I'd try emailing the webmasters, maybe if they get a couple of them they will rethink their design.

Cheers,
Dian

I've been of two minds about writing this - even from the first results to my post - ( an answer to the question I might add) - and I figure I may as well, even if it results in my being "shunned" by those who think they are "right" just because they have "been here longer" or "have better answers" - still doesn't give them the right to pass on their opinions/views/causes or THEIR versions of what someone else should do. Maybe they all should change their names to McCarthy, go on a witch hunt and burn all those who don't think like they do.

What are all on about? resizing the parent window? UNTRUE!! The link opens a BLANK page... which holds a video or picture about (for example's sake) 200pxls - and it resizes itself -- to accomodate that small amount of data... NOT the main page/browser window.

Yikes, talk about going overboard with this... if you guys did'nt return to any sites that have (some/any popups) it would mean then that you would have a very, very, small anount of places to go .. Stop visiting webs... what strange advice, with reasoning like that..., then why go to NBC.com or MSNBC.com or many of the larger corporate areas out there that DO use javascript based popup scripting - to block them is a personal choice, not some form of mandated affair.

Just because other people write popus that open when a user loads or leaves or has been on a page for some time (depending on the script) use this technique for ads -- and to STOP you at this point! I'm NOT advocating this as GOOD - I just understand what's going on, I don't agree with it, but there you go, it happens, that's life. And some corporations use this to sell their products like adware, spyware, or AOL with blockers installed!!!.

This is a LINK to open another page - a user defined click - because it resizes itself, to a smaller size should have no meaning whatsoever on the creditaion or character of the enclosing site/owner - to arbitrarily define that site as "bad" or a place to "avoid" not return to is an overstatement of paranoia - generated by those same large corporations preying upon those who are annoyed by these UNWANTED popups (myself included)

BTW some of those other (differnet plugin/player) DO mess about with the users settings - sometimes even their sytems/computers - so why would I want that???

HOWEVER< this DOES answer mlm823's question> (and isn't THAT the point!) of what this forum is about... isnt it? to assist people, not gtive them sage advice on moral terpitude - I know this will make me unpopular with some of you - but guys - really... common sense should prevail here - this is one of the main reasons I try TEND not respond to questions (even though I have the absolute answer - is because someone decides they have they moral majority and figures that they... in some self-imposed right, denigrate, other who are here to get answers to their problems - if you want to rag, vilify, or otherwise get on a bandwagon about something - join mySpace or some other forum dedicated to the mindless pursuit of arguing the finer points of some minor inconsequential item that occupies time for unlimited periods of time.

Personally, I would rather get some assistance with my issue at hand, than be told what I should or should not do, or whether this is the "thing" you should do because "they" say it - and be ragged on because I offered another answer -- I can guarantee without a doubt, if anyone cared to check, that I do not give personal versions of my opinion or... have engaged in ANY form of disparaging remarks to someone (unless I'm responding) and then check against others to see if they decide to rant and rave, rather than "ANSWER THE QUESTION"

So I guess this is about the longest single statement about anything I've ever written about this subject, but I'm tired of being the butt of someone else's self-serving diatribe about nothing in particular, other than their own opinion. If I really wanted that....., I could just join one of the aforementioned forums or listen to any politician.

Let's see the response to this..... I wonder just how nasty its going to be???

just because they have "been here longer" or "have better answers" - still doesn't give them the right to pass on their opinions

Er... Yes - it does. This board gives us the freedom to express our opinions and our thoughts.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I was expressing my opinion no differently that your post expressed yours. I had the right to say what I felt, just as you had.

Whether you agree with it, like it, or otherwise, is your business. I might disagree with you, but that is my business. Neither of us has the right to tell the other what they can and cannot say, and as a professional or personal opinion, post here.

moral terpitude

Trivia fact: That phrase is on the US Immigrastion tourist visa form you need to fill in to get into the US. Oddly enough, the guy I spoke to when presenting my passport couldn't actuall tell me what it meant.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Let's see the response to this..... I wonder just how nasty its going to be???

Was your intention just to pick a fight? Your last comment certainly makes it seem so.

-kaht

[small]How spicy would you like your chang sauce? Oh man... I have no idea what's goin' on right now...[/small]
[banghead]

I don't like sites resizing my browser or opening a new window dispite my pop up blocker :<

I don't know the answer but my good friend Google does.

Btw if I was the usdoj.gov and had the window that you open when you click here; size smaller - would that mean you would never come back to this forum or to the usdoj.gov again? - just a question using your rational?

NO I'm not looking for a fight - just pointing out some flaws in a flawed reasoning system

I would just like to say PLEASE stop all this madness over my question. I mean please this wasn't the point of the question. I came here to look for advice and it seems that I've started some unlogical war. I mean here you all are going on and on about a simple question.. where I had a real technical question in the php area with not one answer.. can we say use your time wisely. (Which I'm sure I'm getting shunned for that). But please stop replying to this post. If I knew how to get it off the forum I would for you all need to focus on better things than saying someone is wrong/right for using pop-ups no matter how they get there.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back