Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OOP Modeling Tool Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
I'm looking for recommendations on modeling tools for OOP. I have downloaded the evaluation version of Visual Paradigm and it seems very powerful, but that just may be because of my ignorance.

What tools do you use? Where would you send me for additional basic/beginners information on how to create classes and models?

Thanks for any information!

Leslie

ArgoUML is a free open source tool that's written in Java and hence runs on almost any OS. It doesn't support the full range of diagrams, and is UML 1.4.

Enterprise Architect (Sparx Systems) is a good tool that supports UML 2.0, and handles everything from requirements gathering, traceability, design, code generation, and document generation. It's not free, but it is cheap considering the functionality it provides. If it has a fault it is that they sometimes add new features before all the old ones are working properly, but their support is pretty good.

Rational - a heavyweight tool for those with deep pockets, both for the license fees and the high spec PC you'll need to run it. First-rate, but only really suitable for large corporates, due to the cost.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

I've used all the tools that Steve mentioned, and I agree with his analysis.

For me, Argo's limitation of only UML v1.4 is a problem.

Sparx has been great -- my only beef with the product is that the menus aren't always called what I would expect them to be.

Rational Software Modeller (the successor to XDE) is Eclipse based, and is indeed very expensive. But it also integrates very well into the Rational tool suite (also very expensive).

IIRC, Argo stores it's models in XML format, Sparx uses a relational database, and RSM uses XML. So if you're working in a team environment, Argo & RSM's model files are much more mergeable in your source code control system.

Chip H.

I prefer notebook and pen! ;-)

[blue]_______________________________________[/blue]

Tom Pender (author of "the UML Bible") has often recommended MagicDraw, and I like it as well. It does maybe 80% of what Rational does, and is less than $1000.

Hopefully later this week I'll have a chance to check out all your recommendations.....the "real" world of fix it now has interfered with my research and modeling task.

Thanks!

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back