Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onstream DI-30 & TEST TAPE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Just purchased an OnStream DI-30 off ebay to replace one that died in my Windows 2000 Server. After installing the unit, Device Manager shows the unit as 'OnStream TEST TAPE'. Vendor said to use the ECHO 1Tape software, but that software doesn't work with Windows 2000 Server, nor is it for use with BackupExec (Drive is recognized if ECHO is loaded on a W2k Pro machine).

I tried installing the SC2K driver, but Windows doesn't show that driver being compatible with the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Can you even see the tape in Backup Exec? What about NTBACKUP? How does the device show in device manager, and flags? If the drive shows in either program, can you erase a tape, retension it, or write any files? More details please...

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I'm in the same boat, but using Dantz Retrospect on a Win2K Small Business Server. Retrospect does not recognize the drive as a backup drive.

The Device Manager shows the drive under Tape Drives as "OnStream TEST TAPE". It says that the device is working properly, and uses the Microsoft-provided driver 4mmdat.sys version 5.00.2195.6655.

Retrospect says No Backup Devices Found when I attempt to configure devices, but does show the drive as "OnStream/TAPE TEST/W12U" in the list of "Devices visible using NT passthrough..."

The OnStream flash updater, Flash_109_Ide.exe did not recognize the drive.

Using the Device Manager, I was able to update the driver to the OnStream driver sc2k.sys Version 2.0.0.8. (I got a "not recommended" warning from Win2KSBS.) However, this did not change the behavior -- Retrospect still doesn't see the drive.

Thanks,
Andy

One more note: shortly after doing the above, the server blue-screened with an NTFS error.

[mad]

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back