Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OnStream Backup device with Server Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhupe

Vendor
Sep 13, 1999
US
I am a Lab Engineer with OnStream and would look forward to questions and comments about our products as well as possiable fixes. I am currently working with Novell, unix and Linux to develop drivers. Any feed back in these areas would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
joshua.hupe@onstream.com

Are there special drivers that you can supply to optimize the OnStream ADR50 drive for use with Solaris 7?

I'm having alot of problems with the ADR ext 50 GB.
It's like if a tape was stuck in it, but the thing is, it's empty.

We have an ADR50 internal to Compaq Proliant running Novell 5.0. Initial severe problems with SCSI timeout on the Tape drive chain. Only the tape drive is attached to this chain. Check for updated drivers from Veritas as that was one issue. I also increased Maximum (4000) and Minimum (2000) Cache Buffers. I also increased record and file locks as our database is large. Have you tried 30 GB tapes? I also shut off the auto eject function in Backup Exec. No longer have SCSI timeouts...

Hello, I have a question regarding Device Paused messages in Veritas BackupExec 8.60 Rev 3808. I'm using 2 Onstream 50GB tape units in Windows 2000 Server. Trying to reuse a set of tapes in a rotation scheme (protect for two weeks), I've erased and retensioned two tapes that are from three months ago and the backups will not go through, giving the unexplained message &quot;Device Paused&quot;. No entries in the device or media logs reveal a problem at all.

If I use fresh, never before used media, all is cool. I have verified that these two tapes are no longer in a protected state ( no overwrite protection time left, infinite or none for append time left). What is the deal? Has anyone seen this problem with Backup Exec or is it an anomaly with Onstream drives? I've tried both Onstream's and BackupExec's device drivers with the same results.

Any help would be appreciated,
Mark S., NetAdmin at some darned e-company, somewhere USA
(marks@allvertical.com)

Since the time change my Onstream backup will not backup anything. I need help! I do not know what to do, if there is anyone can help I would thankful.

rudye@sdc-engineers.com

I need help with linux and the ADR50 internal.

I got it all set up but when ever I try to 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' it hangs. If I try it from another term window I get a 'device or resource busy error' and I have to restart the computer to free it up.

I'm using RH7.2 and it show's up as dev/st in the Hardware Browser.

Anyone have any ideas?

Darwin Weyh
RMS Systems, Inc.

We have DI-30 and Echo 3.2.99. Drive was flashed with latest firmaware.

After 2-3 full back-ups (erasing tape each time before backing up), I will get an error -- not enough resources -- so I cannot mount tapes (even if restart the system), can't see the virtual directory (V:), etc.

Only full reinstall of Echo fixes the problem (for another few days).

Any ideas why?

viperz@mail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back