Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onstream ADR tape with Windows 2000 professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesPinchot

Programmer
Jun 2, 2002
US
I bought an Onstream ADR2.60ide tape drive because it seemed a great combination of speed, capacity, and value.

I read a review that seemed to say that the Tapeware software included would back up drives mapped with Microsoft Networking, but alas! When I tried it I found that it would only back up local drives, unless you pay $199 more for an upgrade.

So I looked for options, and found that it's supposed to work with networked drives if you use Microsoft's Backup from Windows 2000 with a driver downloaded from Onstream.

Trying that, I discovered that Windows 2000 doesn't recognize ADR tapes, thinking they're Travan or MiniQIC instead. I found documentation for that bug, that said I needed Service Pack 2 for Win2000. So I downloaded and installed that.

But Windows 2000 still doesn't recognize ADR tapes, offering only Travan and MiniQIC options from Backup.

What am I missing???? Help!

I too am experiencing this problem with an OnStream SC-50 and Win2KS. Regardless of the backup software used, backups hang the entire server, not just the app, requiring a reboot. Until I read the original posting for this thread, I thought it was perhaps my hardware setup. Now I am suspect of the media recognition..ugh. was unavailable all day yesterday....

I have been using Onstream SC30e for a couple of months now without a problem. I do not use the Onstream software, but the WIN2K Back-Up. (I'm running Win2K SBS). I simply use the MiniQIC option and haven't had any problem with back up, though I haven't yet tried a restore...

Well, its been about 2 months now and I haven't had any major problems with ntbackup on a Win2kS box, using the OnStream SC50 with windows seeing the media as MiniQic.
Thankfully, all of my restores have been just to test my backups, but restoring seems to work quite well too.

I bought the same device as you did, the ADR2.60ide. I have installed it on an Win2k Advanced Server machine using the driver provided by OnStream (can be found here: Then using Microsoft's native backup program i was able to succesfully backup and restore data as usuall.
Do note that the Removable Storage service displays the device as MiniQIC. Also note that if you have installed TapeWare you need to STOP the TapeWare service and restart the Removable Storage service after that.

I am running Win2k backup with an OnStream drive after a miserable time with the Echo software. I am getting an error in recognizing the correct cartridge size. The 30GB cart is only seen as 14+ GB. Any ideas on that?

7wins, just a thought, this company I'm at at the moment, recently aquired a ADR2k 120 at my sugestion, it works fine. I don't know all the specs, but on the box it said 120* with a reference to the asterisk which said 30GB native... so as this aparatus does backup 120 compressed, the basic storage is 30GB. As with yours, 14+ might be just the native backup space...

Alright, as far as native goes, when it doesn't give you an ADR option, this is usually corrected by updating the Service pack in windows. the original ntbackup didn't include the correct identification of ADR and ADR2, but yes, miniQIC works fine. As far as showing 14gb avail, that's more than likely a native backup (read "no compression b/c microsoft sucks") problem. The ADR30 tapes only have 15 gb of space, they just assume you will get 2:1 compression, which you usually don't. Clever little marketing gimick, isn't it.

Let me know if you have more questions,
Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back