Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Windows 2000 machines can log on to Citrix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray720

MIS
Nov 6, 2001
US
I recently installed Windows 2000 Server along with Metaframe 1.8 Migration for Windows 2000. The strange part is I cannot log on a Windows 98' client. I even made sure to have the newest Citrix ICA Client.

What am I missing?
any suggestion?

Thanks,
Murray

It might be Terminal Server Licensing issue because Windows 2000 professional have a built-in CAL and for Windows 9x and NT workstation you have to buy licenses

I think Dongleman is correct - check your eventviewer log, it should state something about not being able to connect because you don't have a license......

Dongleman is correct: Windows 2000 has built-in CALs, Windows 9x does not. You have 2 choices: upgrade all your Windows 9x's to 2000 or buy some CALs.

At this point, it would be better to upgrade to XP Pro rather than windows 2K, XP Pro also has the built in CALS.

This is were i get confused so please bare with me...

I currently have 30 users using win98 that log directly on to NT 4.0 Terminal Server running Metaframe 1.8.

My plan is to have all users authenticate through a PDC running Win 2000 Server and then connect across to Citrix via an ICA connection.

will I need a CAL for both the PDC and Citrix?
(meaning two CALs per each user)

Yes, you will need a Windows 2000 Server CAL and a Windows 2000 Terminal Server CAL per user IF your servers are setup for seat licensing. You can do server licensing for the Windows 2000 Server CALs, but then you have to buy different license for the servers. I have found that 95% of the time, for simplicity and cost-effectiveness, licensing per seat is the way to go.

You Wrote:
[I recently installed Windows 2000 Server along with Metaframe 1.8 Migration for Windows 2000. The strange part is I cannot log on a Windows 98' client. I even made sure to have the newest Citrix ICA Client.

What am I missing?
any suggestion?]

I'd just like to pass on a little something that I learned before even installing Windows 2000 Server. Windows 2000 Server comes with a product that is called R.I.S., Remote Installation Service. What RIS does, is remotely installs Windows 2000 Professional on any and ALL clients that you designate for installation, best of all, it's FREE!!! If you buy 5 CALs, it will allow 5 copies of Windows 2000 professional to be installed on client computers. It's very simple, after you have RIS installed and configured on your Server, all you have left is to do a "Network Boot" of the client computer. Even this should be possible FROM the server, you won't even need to touch the client's computer.
There is no need to have Windows 98 on your network. It is insecure, and it has way too many problems. Please, do yourself, and your employees a great favor and do some reading up on RIS. Here are a few links that might help you out.

------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember to Back Up Your DATA!

Good luck!!!

Robert Williams
Owner
Business Application Developments

everybody,
thanks for your input/help...

I've been trying to get my company to upgrade it's client machines (with little success) for well, three years now.
The overall cost of buying separate CALs for all the 98 machines combined with Robert's RIS suggestion just may be the nail in the coffin.

Thanks Again,
Murray

You are supposed to have Client Access licences for access to your NT server damain and access to your Windows 2000 terminal server, so yes two CALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back