Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only the Copmaq Logo Comes up on the monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darleneh

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
I have a Compaq Presario EZ2200 which powers on but the only thing that happens is that the Compaq Logo comes up on the monitor. I can't even get into safe mode. Will shut down when do the ctrl-alt-delete but comes back on with only the logo. Tried re-boot disk and the quick recovery CD but will not run those. Any ideas?

You have a hardware problem.
The best way to try to solve it is to make sure all connections are secure, the RAM is secure, and the video card is fully inserted.

If those are ok, then remove and reinsert the RAM a few times.
If no luck, then try the RAM in different slots.

If still no good, then remove all items except for the power supply, MB, CPU, case speaker, and power-on button.
If you do not hear any beeps during startup, then either the PS, MB, or CPU is bad.
They either have to be swapped out or shop tested to find the culprit.

If you hear beeps, then install the memory one stick at a time. If the beeps stay the same, then try a different stick or a different slot.
If the beeps stay the same no matter which RAM module or slot is used, then the RAM is probably bad.

If the beeps change after inserting the RAM, then insert the video card.
If the beeps stay the same, then the video card is bad.

At first even the mouse wouldn't light up, then I removed 1 of the ram's and then the logo came up, and the mouse light came on, but it gave me a memory missing error and I could do nothing since that was all that worked. I hooked it up to another computer, ang the same thing happened. I will try moving the memory in opposite slots..

Beep codes mean different things to different motherboards. Beep codes don't just represent ram although it could be a possibility.

Beep codes are sent in long and short beeps. Try to recognize the pattern of beeps and call compaq (Now HP) and tell them what your computer system is and what beep code you are getting. You should be able to get the information from them. In the mean time I will look for a site for compaq beep codes for you.

darleneh,
What did you hook up to another computer?

armch33,
Beeping almost always indicates a problem either with the RAM or the video card, both of which were mentioned in my 1st post.
Occasionally a bad MB, CPU, or PS will also cause beeping, but it's rare. Normally when these components fail, there is nothing but slience(except possibly for some fans running).

I hooked up the computer to another monitor. I just remembered that when I first turned it on it did nothing until I changed where it was plugged in. I moved the plug to another slot on the strip and then it came up with the Compaq Logo....When I take out 1 memory stick there comes up a message saying the computer is missing memory. Also besides the logo there is a flashing cursor on the right hand of the screen, then the cursor jumps to the right hand side and is a lot bigger. Up in the cornor of the monitor.

"I just remembered that when I first turned it on it did nothing until I changed where it was plugged in. I moved the plug to another slot on the strip and then it came up with the Compaq Logo"

Please use a name, rather than 'it', when referring to a component.
Where what was plugged in?

IMO
Use ski's first set of troubleshooting sequences...they are very comprehensive and almost surely will isolate the problem......
If it's a Laptop......it's very possible it got dropped and somethimg's jarred loose etc..
If it's not..it doesn't matter anyway

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Okay..Thanks for all the info....I will let you know what I find out...

I said I would let you know what the problem is...well it is the hard drive....

thanks 4 comin back with the diagnosis!!
[thumbsup]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back