Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

only show specific account numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspnetuser

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I have a report that works perfectly that is grouped by account number a displays information about workers, 1 account per page. I need to process this report as is but then select out accounts i do not need. Right now i get a file with a list of customer numbers that i use to import the text file into the select list as a parameter and manually add the account numbers to the report. I cannot get around getting the file from the person, but i need to automated the process. Can I use the selection export to link Customer = all values in a table automatically or in that file i get so they just have to update the file and run the report? Can I process all the data then only show the onle from the file I tried this many ways but when I link to a file to my live tables it takes 8 hours to process. If i could somehow process all the data then hide the accounts i don't need all locally it would do the trick?

any ideas?

In the "Change Group Options" window, select the "Common" Tab". In the Common Tab, select "In Specified Order." In the "SPecified Order" Tab, select the account numbers you will always need to group by. In the "Others' Tab, select "Discard All Others."

Create a param {?MyAccount} with a string as the value type. then in the report-edit selection formula-Record, type:
{?MyAccount} = {AccountField}

question911:
I am on CR 8.5? Cannot find that?

tomk01:
I am doing that but I need to select all the accounts everytime?

aspnetuser:

Right click your group section and select Change Group Options, then follow 911's instructions.

-k

How can I make the account range used for selection be dynamic. i tried your suggestions with no luck. I have a database table that I can manipulate the number that i get daily. I need to set a parameter each time and click import so the user can see the new choices. is their a way to make it dynamic when the table with the selection stuff changes change the user selection menu?

i tried linking the table but it takes 8 hrs to run.

The problem is the accounts number change daily. I need to automate the process. Not sure how, table wise it takes way to long and their is not a way to do it within the report the numbers i get are not accessible by me on a secure network out their. I need to somehow write something that imports this stuff in to my existing db automatically from some temp table in my sql db?

arghh....any insight would be greatly appreciated!

where are you geting the account numbers from? what kind of a file is it?

What you want require third party IDE. You can use VB, ADO, T-SQL, and Crystal.

The file i get is excel. i import it into an access table in which i want to link to this report telling it what accounts to select. if i do it it is way to slow. if i import the select list to the account parameter it is fast. can i automate the process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back