Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only seeing half the memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulovey

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
GB
Hi,

I hope someone out there can help with this.

Im upgrading a customers older server a HP ML370 G2, to 4GB of memory. In 4 x 1GB PC133 DIMMS.

I have installed the memory in 2 Pairs, and applied all firmware and BIOS updates but post routine only shows 2Gb of memory.

If I remove 1 pair so the server only has 2Gb, it only reports as having 1Gb. Even swapping round the DIMMS has no effect.

It always seems to report half of what really has.

Any help will be much appreciated.

TIA,

Paul

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Sounds to me as if you have DIMM redundancy configured. In the same way (in principle) that you can have a spare hard disk should one fail, you can also have a spare DIMM so that should a DIMM fail you have an online spare. As the server utilises DIMMs in pairs, your server would appear to have an online spare pair (if that makes sense)

Check in your SmartStart configuration to see if this is the case. I would post a link but the HP website seems to be playing up at the moment

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Thats the first thing I looked at. Banks "c" are configed for DIMM redundancy and im not using either of those pairs, and the BIOS will not even let me enable that feature.

Im thinking HP will be the next port of call.

Paul

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Hi Paulovey, I've got the same server model and I could configure memory options thu BIOS:

System Options > Advanced Memory Protection

The Advanced Memory Protection option provides additional memory protection beyond error checking and correcting (ECC).

The Advanced ECC Support (maximum memory) setting disables additional resiliency and provides the largest memory capacity to the OS.

The Online Spare with Advanced ECC Support setting requires a single group of spare modules and provides automatic failover of degraded modules in the system while it is running.

The Single-Board Mirrored Memory with Advanced ECC Support option provides protection against modular failure to systems with one memory board. DIMM banks A and B are mirrored by DIMM banks C and D on the same memory board.

Single-board mirrored memory is similar to dual-board mirrored memory, except the failed memory board may not be replaced while the system is running.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back