Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only know part of a name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
Is there anyway of getting the full domain name say you have hotmail but you don't know what the bit after the dot is. Is there anyway you can do some sort of nslookup and find all addresses that start with "hotmail".

I get the feeling the answer may be no. But worth a shot anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

are you saying like in your example, you're looking for the ".com" of hotmail.com? if thats what you are looking for then you can go to and type in the domain with the .com .net or whatever.

if not, please explain a little more. i hope i helped!! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Yep I guessed that more information would be needed. I'm trying to solve the problem on a LAN or WAN I guess.

It has its own DNS servers which I don't have access to.

Thanks

Chris

do you need more help? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

A fast way of checking most of the common extensions would be to go to and enter the first part of the domain name in their search box as though you were looking to register it.

This will give you back all of the ones, which are available, and more importantly the ones that are taken. From that point, you can do a whois search from there and find out who owns all the names that are taken.

Hope this helps, I'm not sure I completely understood what you were asking.

If you don't know what the domain is, there is NO definitative answer...

e.g. .co.uk exists, but is a different site to .com and different to .net

There are 13 gTLDs - generic Top Level Domains ( .com, .biz, .aero ) - in existence at the moment... plus loads of (200+) country TLDs ( .uk, .fr, .de, .us), many of which have second level domains ( .co, .org,) forming a combination ( .co.uk, .org.uk)

Given the HUGE number of combinations, plus the fact that the second level domains are generally administered by an organisation in the country which owns that country TLD, this gives an immense number of Registrars to check with.

So the solution? Guesswork! :)

As to your problem on the LAN, I take it it's not resolving some / all of your URLs...
If I remember correctly, DNS is a hierarchical structure - if the domain ends in .com, your DNS server should point you in the direction of another DNS server resolving domain entries in .com, if it ends in .uk, it will go to the DNS which handles second level domains (.co, .org...) for the uk.
As for solutions, I think you will need access to the DNS server to update it's entries in some way.

Sorry I can't be more technical! Hope this points you in the right direction.

<marc>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back