Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only hear out of one speaker on Windows Media Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePickleMan

Technical User
Dec 20, 2004
US
When I use Windows Media PLayer to play audio of video files, I only hear out of the left earphone on my headphones (my headphones are connected straight into the computer), and I had the same problem when I had speakers plugged in.

I went through all the options on my sound, and no, "mute 1 pc speaker" is not checked. Any ideas whats wrong?

is it possible that what you're playing is mono?

I'm not an audiophile by anymeans .. but doesn't mono play only out of one speaker?

secondly i would say check the wires but since you've tried two things i doubt that ..

mute one pc speaker? never heard of that, but have you checked the "balance" option?

~Shmoes

Is this only when playing video files, or is it bad with audio files also? By the way, a "mono" file should have the same sound in both earphones.

if they're video files, they could have been recorded with only on line in ?

~Shmoes

Have you tried playing other files? Is it just one specfic file you have problems with?

What file type are you playing?

For the record, mono will still come out of both speakers, just everything will be at the same level, in other words, the same sound from each speaker.

Jamie

Have you tried a different player? Test the sound from within the control panel. Try the Windows Startup and listen for both channels. If you only get sound on one channel with something else then you most likely have a bad connection.

You can clean the plug with alcohol. Also, try dipping the plug in alcohol and inserting it in the jack a few times. That's what I've found to be the most common problem and this sometimes works. You may need to get inside with a Q-tip® or something.
I doubt it's a MediaPlayer or driver problem so try this and get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back