Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Half of Original Memory Clock is running in ATI 9550 GT 256M!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick99

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
HK
My configurations are:
Grandmar Radeon 9550 GT 256M AGP8x (Core/Mem: 400/400)
Asus CUSL2-C (AGP4x slot)
PIII-800EB
PC133 512M

I have the latest ATI Catalyst 5.6 driver installed, and I won't overclock. The ATI control center shows that the display card is running at Core/Mem: 419/196.

Why the Memory clock is only half of the original one? Does the motherboard with AGP4x affect it?

Thank you.

patrick99
Probably similar to a CPU and front side bus settings, DDR memory doubles the values?
But thats a guess.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

It should be PIII-933, not 800...

Martin:
CPU runs in 133 x 7 = 933.
DDR memory doubles the values? What does you mean?

I'm talking about the graphics card, it has DDR memory DOUBLE DATA RATE? so the reported figure could actually be 2X

patrick99
Or just a compatibilty issue!
Pretty old setup to be running something as new as a Radeon 9550 but i have to be honest and say i do not know of any issues but thats not to say there arn't any between these two bits of hardware.
If you have the luxury of another PC then swap and test for the same reported figures.
Martin

In the ati control center, it says:

Current Bus Setting: AGP4x
Memory Size: 256MB
Memory Type: DDR SGRAM/SDRAM
Core Clock in MHz: 419 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz: 196 MHz

The card ram should be DDR.
And I have only this old PC...

A lot of cards underclock themselves when not running 3D apps, then boost the clock speed once you start running intestive games or what-not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back