Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Contacts, Calendar and Tasks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mks8500

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2003
US
I'm looking to setup Exchange2K for the first time. For now, I just want to be able to have 4 users connect to the server (in the workgroup) for backups of data but also to be able to access each others calendar, contacts and tasks...mostly just calendar and tasks. Currently all 4 users share one email address (pop3 like bellsouth type) through outlook. I don't even know where to start. I'm sorry to be such a newbie. I've looked through other threads and can't even find a place to start. I know AD is a key feature right? Please help. THANKS! :)

you have AD and everything set up already right?
Is DNS set up CORRECTLY?? (use nslookup to find out)

do you have a public domain name (i assume so)

youll need to edit your public domain name to point to the appropriate public IP address by creating an MX record for your domain on the domain hosts DNS server

pop in teh exchange cd and go to the i386 directory in a command propmt: type- setup /forestprep

then when that finishes, open a cmd prompt again and type setup /domainprep

then when thats done you can install Exchange

then you need to configure everything you need in system manager

go to technet and microsoft support....tehy have walkthroughs

better yet...the exchange homepage

BWilson77080
MCSE, MCSA, A+

No DNS, no domain. The is only made up of 4 people. Each of them want to be able to look at each others calendar in outlook and look at each other's tasks. Nothing more. No Email, which is what's causing me some confusion. Please help. I've checked the Exchange site, but I'll check the support info now. Thanks again.

Maybe I didn't explain the situation clearly enough. I'll try again.

- 4 users
- 1 office
- currently have DSL for internet access with router so everyone can be connected
- 1 email address (user@bellsouth.net)...check through web
- users have XP Pro and Win2K on workstations
- they just bought a brand new Dell server with Win2K server with small business tools
- Currently connected as a workgroup rather than a domain
- they'd like to each have a calendar and have the ability to see each others calendars and tasks

That's it. That's all the server will be used for. They explained what they wanted and Microsoft told them to buy what they did.

My question is where to start. In order to setup AD you have to set up DNS right? I'm so confused. Please help. I'm currently checking the support page for exchange, but everything assumes that you have a domain and not a workgroup. :-(
-

you knwo you can achieve this functionality with Outlook 2000. you dont need exchange.
i dont think its going to be possible for you to set up exchange without a domain or AD anyway.

youll need DNS, and AD for sure
reason being is that exchange is directly integrated with AD, so if AD does nto exist...exchange cannot and will not authenticate users. If they are using Outlook, you can simply share their calenders on one system, and subscribe to the calender on every other machine..

,make sense??

BWilson77080
MCSE, MCSA, A+

Do they just have to be in the same workgroup to share the calendars in Outlook? I'll have to try that. I can't believe I don't know some of this stuff as I have my MCSE and MCSA but haven't even THOUGHT about Exchange. Thanks so much for the help. Star for you. :)

im pretty sure you can do it in a workgroup config as long as your outlook is set up as corporate/workgroup

now if i can just remmber how....

i only had to use it once when i was migrating a netware 4 network with ISP based email into win2000/exchange2000...just used it for the process of migration....but...they were already joined to the domain so I'm not sure

heres a link:

yea exchange is a bit different....ive been administering for around 3 yrs all together, and still went ahead and made my emphasis for my MCSE Exchange (well, that and AD)....

whether you have your MCSE and MCSA now and not knowing this shouldnt really get you down or anything...if you havent had alot of experience in a messaging infrastructure than you havent had alot of experience...thats why we learn new things daily.....to make ya better

anyways, in outlook, go to File|Share|and select Calender
then subscribe people to it...it will then send an email message saying that so can subscribe now and will give an option for them to say no or yes to it

Hope this helps

BWilson77080
MCSE, MCSA, A+

I just wanted to write back with results. I GOT IT TO WORK. Email me for specifics if you need them. Essentially, I set Win2K server, AD and Exchange 2000 up got the calendars to share and Exchange to check the pop3 mail for me. Everything works like I want it to. No domain, no nothing. If you're having the same problems, email me.

mks8500@hotmail.com

oh i thought you didnt want to use exchange at all

glad to hear you got it fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back