Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only allow 1 checkbox to be selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samndi

Technical User
Feb 25, 2011
US
Good Afternoon,

I have 7 checkboxes on a form. I want to only allow 1 of those to be selected. So, when a user selects 1 all others should be hidden. I am a bit confused about where I would put the code to do this....here is the code I currently have that allows the user to add some text when a checkbox is selected:

Code:
function HideComments() 
  {
  var a1 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer1").checked; 
  var a2 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer2").checked; 
  var a3 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer3").checked; 
  var a4 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer4").checked; 
  var a5 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer5").checked; 
  var a6 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer6").checked; 
  var a7 = document.getElementById("crmForm_answer7").checked;

if(a1==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer1_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer1_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a2==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer2_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer2_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a3==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer3_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer3_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a4==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer4_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer4_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a5==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer5_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer5_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a6==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer6_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer6_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';

if(a7==true)
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer7_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'block';
  else
    document.getElementById("crmForm_answer7_value").parentNode.parentNode.style.display = 'none';
  }

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Let me give you an idea:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">

function ch(checked){

for (var i=1; i<=4; i++){

if (checked!=document.getElementById("c"+i).value){ 

document.getElementById("c"+i).style.visibility="hidden"; 

}

}

}

</script>

<input type="checkbox" id="c1" value="1" onclick="ch(this.value)"/>First    <br />
<input type="checkbox" id="c2" value="2" onclick="ch(this.value)"/>Second   <br />
<input type="checkbox" id="c3" value="3" onclick="ch(this.value)"/>Third    <br />
<input type="checkbox" id="c4" value="4" onclick="ch(this.value)"/>Fourth   <br />

By clicking any of these checkboxes all the other will disappear. It's just and idea feel free to change and optimize!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back