Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only Administrator and Guest show up on login

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeffTribe

Programmer
Oct 1, 2001
US
For some reason, only Administrator and Guest are showing up on the login. I had three other users which are now gone. When I login as the administrator, I don't have administrator privilages.

I have tried the F8 options (last good config, normal boot, etc), none of them let me in as a true administrator and none of them give me my users to choose from.

Does anybody know what could be causing this? How do I revert to a configuration from a day ago?

Thanks,

-David

when you get to the login screen, try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL

that should bring up the old style login box, and then see if you can log in properly from there.

Scotsdude[bravo]

Did you try using System Restore to go back to an earlier point in time when you were happy.

You could also try System File Checker (sfc /scannow) to check for corrupt system file.

It is also possible to run your XP CD over your current installation of XP and repair it that way. It will give you the option to repair XP before it does anything too radical to your setup.

Thank you for your suggestions. Using Ctrl-Alt-Del did allow me to login as the user I need, but I'd have to do that every time.

Linney, I'm going to try your suggestion to do the XP repair. That's a good idea.

Thanks again to both of you,

-David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back