Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only 2 computers able to share router internet connecton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
My LAN set up is as follows, 1 computer upstairs connected to a rounter connected to DSL, 3 computers downstairs. Upstairs computer plugged in directly to the router, cable running downstairs from router, plugged into a Netgear 4 port 10/100 hub. Each downstairs computer plugged into that hub.
My problem, only 2 computers can use the internet at once, be it the upstairs one and a downstairs one, or two downstairs ones, it can only get 2 on at once.
Anyone have any ideas why this might be? Ill be able to get more specific on the brand and type of router if need be.

thx

thiskidsonfire,

How do you connect to your ISP using your xDSL connection? Do you use your xDSL modem as a bridge? Meaning, do you run any type of software to connect to the ISP, like Enet (Enternet) or raspppoe or winpoet, etc... on the PC side before you can connect to the internet?

I'm guessing that you do, and in most cases, the ISP limits the number of connections per line. This would be why you can only connect using 2 computers at the same time, regardless of their location.

I had this problem at one time so I reconfigured my xDSL modem to negotiate the PPPoE session and plugged it into a switch which could then be shared by all my computers at the same time. Depending on what xDSL modem you have, it may or may not be possible to do this. I had a Zyxel Prestige P641 ADSL modem but have gotten a Cisco 827 ADSL/router since and it's been rock solid!

Good luck! :)
-soupnazi-
"No soup for you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back