Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Only 16 colors- which chipset? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scallosa

ISP
Mar 7, 2002
US
A win98 reinstall left me with only 16 colors.
It seems that I need to download a display adapter for my chipset, according to what I've read.
How do I find out what my chipset is, and is this the
proper way to solve my problem?
Thanks

I downloaded soemthing related to this issue which is in a cab file. The I downloaded a cab viewer, part of Powertoys.
But it downloads only a cabview.dll and .inf. Right clicking install seems to install it, but I don't see it any. How does one use this product?

You can look on the board. You can download Belarc advisor and use it. You can use debug and scan the video bios. You can go to the m/b manual or website.
Different tools that can help.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If you download Belarc, that should advise you what video drivers you need if you look under Display. Failing that and assuming you do not have your video driver disc, you may have to remove the video card and look on the chips for the name of the chipset (Such as Trident 9440 or Sis530). Either way you will need to go to a site like driver guide and download the driver.It is a common trap for people who reinstall to forget about their drivers and internet settings. Just saving important data is not enough. I hate to sound like a pain in the rear end but I hope this serves as a lesson for those who are thinking about a reinstall.
Good Luck.............Dave

Thanks for the advice on Belarc, it is a great tool.
It shows that my display is a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). However, my MB is a Delhi 3, and that website
shows
AGPsets PCI/AGP Controller: VIA Apollo MVP3 VT82C598MVP
and
Graphics: ATi RAGE-3D IIc with 4 or 8MB SDRAM.

So I think I should be looking for support for the ATi Rage.
BTW, there is no video card.
I have retreived several drivers from driverguide, a good resource.
I will search for ATi Rage and see what turns up.
I would assume I dont have to do any searches for
VIA Apollo MVP3....

Thanks for all of the help. And now, back to futility, already in progress...

I went to the ATI website and they had the display adapter driver I needed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back