Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online resource to learn VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopTeller

Technical User
Aug 20, 2019
BG
Hello all!

Is there any online resource to learn Visual Basic 6 from scratch? Preferably like s3 schools to learn PHP, HTML, etc.

There is no new application development in VB6. Microsoft does not support VB6 any more, they quit doing so in 2004 (I think). VB6 is gone as Dodo or COBOL.

There is some need for VB6 developers but only to support existing apps until they get we-written in some other language.

Why do you want to learn VB6?

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

>VB6 is gone as Dodo or COBOL.

noooooo!!!!! :-(

>2004
April 2008

Thank you Andrzejek! Well, so it's the time to stop suggesting it to students needing a tool to improve their programming skills.

improve [...] programming skills" and 'which language to use' - those are two totally different issues. One can argue that PASCAL or FORTRAN can be used to teach programing skills, but do you really want to learn it using those two computer languages?

I would use something available to students even outside the classroom environment, like a VBA in Excel. You can learn a lot 'programming skills', and you can have it available at home to play with (as long as you have Office installed)

But that's just my opinion...

---- Andy

For student introduction to programming, it may make sense to select the environments/languages that are most accessible (don't teach Windows app development if the student does homework on a Mac or Linux system) and to check job postings to see which environments/languages are in highest demand. Mentions of VB6 on either list will be difficult to find.

How about Turtle Logo? [bigsmile]

Nothing wrong with PASCAL. I, too, had my beginning of programming in class using PASCAL. Had learned spreadsheets on Lotus 1-2-3, operating system was DOS, wrote one program in COBOL (reveling my age here... :) )

---- Andy

Pascal (it was never PASCAL) was the first language I formally learned - but in reality in I learned to program with BASIC and 6502 machine code on an Ohio Superboard (well, the UK variant called the UK 101) about a year earlier. But the Pascal course did teach me better programming habits.

I think we are forgetting the fact that BASIC stands for "Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code". So no reason to equate it with ForTran or Pascal when it comes to taking a language just to clear the programming concepts and logical flows. And in this perspective I think "improve [...] programming skills" and "which language to use" are correlated. Anyways, it's my opinion!

>So no reason to equate it with ForTran

Well, given that the original BASIC was a sort of reskin of Fortran II, I think we could argue there's every reason 😀

Thank you SaltyTheFrog for sharing those resources.

Nice tutorial, you can learn a lot, but also, unfortunately – you will get some misleading, incomplete, and sometimes wrong information, too.

Just one example:

Code:
Private Sub cmd_bgColor_Click()
 Dim r, g, b As Integer

where some people do assume: r and g are Integers, but in reality it is:

Code:
Private Sub cmd_bgColor_Click()
 Dim r [red]As Variant[/red], g [red]As Variant[/red], b As Integer

Some people may argue: "What's the difference...?", but if you want to learn, then do it the right way based on correct examples.

---- Andy

>you will get some misleading, incomplete, and sometimes wrong information, too.

Quite a lot, it seems …

>where some people do assume: r and g are Integers

The author actually erroneously explicitly states this to be the case in later examples. And many, many, many of the examples make this error.

Still, better than nothing, I guess ...

I've been learning Ruby ...

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back